Share:
Notifications
Clear all

JK Community - What can we do? - READ THIS YOU IDIOTS

Page 1 / 5
(@r3dphoenix)
Trusted Member

Hello mongoloids.

What can we do about the JK community? Everyone who reads/posts on this stupid forum loves JK and it's community (albeit there are a few fagbeasts). So what can we do?

As you all know IGZ failed, one of the major contributory factors related to it's downfall was the fact that it was riddled with errors and a relatively new program. Yet we can glean some interesting information from the IGZ experiment. Two key realizations come out of it:

#1 75 Votes were needed for JK to get IGZ support, we managed this.

#2 A week after IGZ gave JK support and people knew about it, there were approximately 25-30 people in the chatroom for 3 weeks - 1 month and many games of JK were being played.

#3 Lots of new people drifted in to play JK, but because of the technical issues they became disenfranchised from it and left.

So what can we learn from this?

- "Lots" of people still want to play JK.

- IGZ was good for "marketing" JK due to its aesthetic user interface and the nostalgia factor of the zone, but it was inherently homosexual due to its errors.

- Although we have sites like this, and people were willing to help and Zeq had some stuff posted on his JKHub site, there is no COMPLETE guide nor CENTRALIZED source of information for JK, it seems to be spread over a few sites.

So let's tackle these issues.

-Lots of people still want to play JK and empirical evidence dictates this from the IGZ experiment, so logic dictates that these people are still going to WANT to play JK, therefore I believe that we have ONE last chance to try and resurrect the JK community before it stagnates and depreciates into obscurity.

-Although like I have said, IGZ was aesthetically pleasing, this is not a major factor as JK is a dated game which is inherently not played for it's --graphical interface, but for it's gameplay. With Zeq's JKLauncher and irc.gamesurge.com #jk we have an easy replacement.

- A CENTRALIZED AND EASILY ATTAINABLE site with a source of information for newbs and A COMPLETE AND PROPER FAQ and troubleshooting guide for JK is required. At the moment there are about 3-4 different JK sites including this ones (JKHub, JKCommunity etc). This kind of system works well for a game with a large and ACTIVE user base, but for a declining game it is VITAL for the information source to be centralized to rejuvenate the JK comuntiy.

So what do we need?

Since this game is in decline we everyone to make an effort here. We have two obvious things we need to do:
1. Try to get some of the 25-30 people who came to IGZ to start to come to IRC Gamesurge.
2. Effectively and efficiently draw in "Randoms" - this being old school players who used to play JK and have been trying to see if there is still a community active.

So how do we do this?

#1 GET THE OTHERS BACK - Everyone needs to contribute to this and get the others to come in irc.gamesurge.net . EVERYONE WHO READS THIS FORUM should always be idling in there. It takes up next to no system memory and it is vital to have as big a user presence as possible in the channel.

#2 CENTRALIZED SOURCE OF INFORMATION - Whether it be this website, JKHUB or whatever we need this. Also we need ACTIVITY on these forums, when Random's come across the forums and see that people have not been posting for months, they will assume that JK is dead. So lets say the Randoms see active forums and their interest in peaked? They will then come to the irc.gamesurge.net IRC channel and see people there. This will further draw them in and want to play JK again, but what's going to happen? They will encounter technical problems when trying to play JK - THIS IS WHY IT IS AGAIN VITAL FOR A COMPLETE TECHNICAL GUIDE AND A CENTRALIZED INFORMATION SOURCE.

#3 START TO PLAY JK MORE - Everyone needs to actually START PLAYING JK more. The NF Sabers tournament went well and got more people active and playing again, we need people to start organising more of these tournaments. These are a vital marketing tool for Randoms as well since they will see lots of recent tournament being played. Zeq's JKLauncher will help a lot in regards to playing MOAAAAAAAAAAR once it's ready.

#4 MARKETING - Many people love JK and those who used to play it would be dying to play it again. Online marketing in major internet forums advertising JK's revival will get people being like " OMFG I LOVED THAT GAME I WANNA PLAY AND GET BEAT BY R3DPHOENIX". They need to be able to Rapidshare/download the game easily and start playing again, but I can only start to market once all the previous issues have been resolved.

I can't be bothered typing any more, but I expect everyones comments on this.

Shut up and die you fagbeasts.

Topic starter Posted : 30/04/2008 8:11 pm
(@subzero)
Reputable Member

the reason people dont play anymore is probably because of maggots like you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2008 8:52 pm
(@beefcaike)
Trusted Member Admin

As much of an Ass Douche Phoe is, he has a point. Everything he said in this post made sense, and should be a guideline for all of us to use to revive JK! I agree that IGZ was a failure, mostly because it spread everyone out, and didn't seem to have any activity. What we really need is for everyone to be centralized into one room so that we are a single conscience experiencing itself. With a community as small as ours, we all need to tackle this together if we have any hope in hell of keeping JK alive.

JKDF2.net is a good place for JK's technical issues, and forum. JKHUB.net is a good place for levels, mods, and editing gear. These two websites should be the focal points of JK. JKDF2 will need some updating, and possibly some implementation of the jkcommunity.co.nr website. It already has good credibility, so we should push it even further. JKHub's new JKLauncher will be a huge asset to the revival of JK as well. It has many features that will make playing games much faster and easier.

I would like to type more, but I am late for a job. So I must go. Please, continue to discuss more on this issue.

irc.gamesurge.net #jk
JK Community Headquarters
The JK Community Info Site
The DDC - Dralloc Download Central

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2008 3:55 am
 Hyde
(@hyde)
Reputable Member

Well, i don't think jkdf2.net jkhub.net and massassi.net staff's will ever work together in the effort of keeping JK alive... i'd like to see that, but i doubt it'll happen.

Having that in mind, and seeing what everyone has being doing, i think the best idea would be to let everyone do what they do best (jkhub for editing, massassi to store lvls and mods, 'cause even if they don't post new ones they have a huge database, and jkdf2.net to try and keep ppl playing, and as it is unavoidable flaming each other)

Perhaps it'd be a good idea to put an IRC client here at the jkdf2.net site? Just to give "randoms" an easier access to the #jk lobby... 'cause maybe it's discouraging for some people the whole hussle of using mIRC or some other IRC software.

JAS_Hyde
JAS - JK Online Gaming Clan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2008 8:18 am
(@r3dphoenix)
Trusted Member

Vallo,

In response:

"My attempts to implement the most basic of common courtesy "rules" were labeled as limitations to freedom of expression.

The small user base this site has, has decided that the forums should be a place without any rules or regulations thereby making us -- and our IRC couterpart #jk -- the butt of jokes from JKHub and massassi."

I would agree that the basic "common courtesy rules" are irrelevant and invalid. They are not requried at all and are not the problem. Hark back and think with retrospect to MSN Zone, there were little or no common courtesy rules there, and the community was active. This is not the problem at all. Massassi? Do they even play JK any more? And JKHub people? Well I quite frankly don't know about them, but I can only assume that if they do play, they do so amongst themselves. We have to think of this like running a business, we need proper marketing and product implementation of two factors:

#1 JKLauncher - If indeed your theory holds ground that people don't like the attitude/environment of my colloqualisms and/or ideological beliefs then JKL eliminates this as there will always be games people from Massassi and JKHub can join, without actively engaging in chat stimulus. But I still consider a centralized organisational structure as key and we need to try and align all the various factions.

#2 Getting the "Randoms" back. I frequent many major gaming forums, and i've done some market research as a prequisite to writing my initial blurb, whenever I mention JK people are like " WOA OMG I USED TO LOVE THAT GAME". Through proper marketing, a centralized community and JKL and all major contributory persons making effort, I believe we can give it one last shot. If it doesn't work this time then JK community dies. It's as simple as this. What I propose is that we give this resurrection one last shot, if it fails it fails and so be it.

"My goal is to have one site run by all major JK "stakeholders" -- JKDF2.net for gaming related information and statistics, JKHub for editing and Massassi.net for ... I don't even know what they do any more. "

Agreed. Perfect scenario.

"As much as I value Red's comments 98% of what you normally post is complete garbage. "

Glad to hear!

"And although you paint an optimistic appraisal of the situation, the reality of the matter is that all of the things that you said we should do have already been tried and failed."

Yes, but you've not had someone like me on board to organize and properly administer the resurrection. Like I said, we give it one last shot. It works then great, it dies it doesn't. I usually post nonsensical idiocy because I don't take "online chatting" seriously at all, and I gain pleasure out of being an asshole, call it schadenfreude or whatever you like, but I enjoy myself doing so. I do care about JK though, and will use all of my intellectual capacity (which, might I add is quite immense) to try one final time.

JKHub.net and JKDF2.net were created to both be the central place for JK. Andrew L regularly posts on other forums to increase the awareness of JK and all that happens is people like Red and Phelan discourage them and they never come back. If you actually want to believe the bull crud your saying about "saving JK" I believe you should start treating new comers better.

I am nothing but helpful to "Randoms". Anyone will testify to this, I am just an asshole to people I know.

It all really comes down to why people are still active -- some of us are active because we like the game and want to keep it alive, others seem more preoccupied with being in positions of power, others seem preoccupied with seeing who they can beat. I think egos and attitudes need to be adjusted if we really want to save what is left of this "community."

Correct about the positions of power in regards to Massassi and JKhub, wrong about the ego and attitudes bit. Case study take 4chan /b

http://img.4chan.org/b/imgboard.html

A complete den of filth, but one of THE MOST popular places on the internet. You are basing the ideology on mostly what you and Zeq would like to see. You will realise that the people with the "attitudes" are in the VAST majority, perhaps 75% of people. Use logic to decipher what this means.

I can provide the means to do just about anything we want to do with this site but there doesn't seem to be any interest in anything other than flaming people. Perhaps this is why nobody comes back to our forums? We need to come to a consensus on what we want to do with this site and not vague generalizations like "be the center of JK."

Well I did try to make an objective intellectual post but you seem to have flamed me in your reply Vallo so I have responded (in parts) to your flaming. Read your reply to me, you have flamed my attempt at a proper intellectual post, again use logic to decipher what this means.

My original post still stands:

#1 Centralize the community
#2 Get JKL working and marketed properly
#3 Solve the technical issues in regards to Router problems and make a concise guide and try to help Randoms as much as possible
#4 Increase awareness of the JK resurrection on other forums (I can do this, but the more people the better)

I always treat Randoms and new people well and try to help them as much as possible, i'd be quite disturbed if some people didn't.

I'd also like to iterate i'm impressed at the response my original topic has garnered, please keep it up everyone.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/05/2008 9:22 am
 Wodz
(@wodz)
Reputable Member

I am a busy person, and do not have time to invest into the community that I have already done so much for over nearly a decade of time.

With that aside, Red is entirely correct.

Since the fall of zone the JK community has become an archaic joke. All rejuvenation attempts have been admirable yet laughable.

This is not rocket science and it is sad that the community continues to shrink. I propose an electoral committee be voted be issued or voted upon to systematically re-evaluate and restructure of the JK community.

This needs to be viewed as a hierarchy business in which administrative decisions are made for the community. People with a business background would understand this best and know that players who are merely Ò€œpopularÒ€ may not be the best choice to help structure of community.

Some of you may know that I come from Harvard Business School, but donÒ€™t bother asking for my administrative assistance regarding this issue; I simply do not have the time for this.

I personally would elect Beefcaike, Zeqmacaw, and Redphoenix to become the structuring leaders of the JK community. JK skill should mean squat here. The smartest people in the community should be elected for various characteristics and reasons.

I elect Beefcaike for his in-depth knowledge of JK editing, video editing, managerial skills shown throughout the span of IRC, and his connection with users. He is well known and since he is a competitive JK player, he understands the value(s) of having the community grow into something better. More to the point he is constantly active and always has the interests of the community itself in mind.

I elect Zeq also based on his managerial skills and background of JK editing. He as well is constantly active and has the interests of the community in mind. Since Zeq has been helping run websites and managing sections of the JK community, this is an obvious choice.

I elect Redphoenix based on his intellectual stature and disposition. Regardless of your opinions, he is smarter than the majority of the community combined and understands the importance of communal longevity. Although his game play has been called into question by other players and his text based rude attitude of faux pausÒ€™ may irritate some, his post here should initiate a s.t.f.u. command in your brains and have you understand that he is not a peon, but someone who can possibly help to bring about a brighter future for JK.

Next chapter; The Wodz factor;

If you people work together, I am your future. I alone can make the community grow. DSbr may laugh at my overwhelming knowledge of JK history, but perhaps it plays a devilish role here. I can contact countless old school players (who in turn can contact other old school players), and request them to pay a visit to our community. Since I was never renowned for my JK skill, but for my popularity within the games existence, I am known and accepted by all, love it or hate it.

In the past when people have tried to jumpstart the community, they have always came to me asking for assistance to bring hordes of members in. I tend to turn down their request because I dont want to jade off any of these players. How would it have looked to my reputation if I listened and ran out and contacted hundreds of old school JK players to come to IGZ and then 2 weeks later its EMPTY. In the future, if I ask them to come somewhere else, they are going to remember that and say "you know what, i have better things to do".

You people make me look bad! Your inherent failure to keep the community together is ominously destroying hopes of any future. Look at the #$#$ statistics, every single time we have moved around our numbers drop drastically.

Zone to IRC - MASSIVE drop-off, mainly because people had NO IDEA WHERE EVERYONE WENT!

IRC to gsurge - Large drop-off from people tired of moving

gsurge to IRC/irc room battle - small drop-off from tired users

IRC to IGZ migration - large gain, even larger LOSS due to IGZ homosexuality.

Zone worked because people could find it easily, it didnÒ€™t crash, and the software was user friendly. The average person doesnÒ€™t know how to use IRC and or wtf IRC even is. Im not suggesting leaving IRC...but if we could get Zone, or something stable, that would be a good platform to work with.

- The Wodz factor, continued..

What do most old school players chat about within the community? You people wouldnÒ€™t fucking know because you've scared them all of anytime IÒ€™ve invited them to come around. The answer is the history of JK. They reflect upon the better times. If this "in person" they would reflect through photo albums, trophies, and various collectables. 90% of the time, when they enter the lobby and start talking about the past, they always ask..where is Wodz.

Not because they want sex, but because they know that IÒ€™m the gateway to the past. Because im the only person with the entire CWT collection, with crap loads of Cases stats/history, archived clan sites, artwork, chat logs, player / clan databases, and player pictures... endless historical references that no one else has. DSbr laughs at this, the glue that is the fabric of JK history, you fucking clowns.

I have offered this data to people like ReT and Vallo in the past and they have failed to do anything with it. Its not because they are lazy, it is simply an overwhelming amount of information and they simply do not know what to do with it.

Conclusion; form a committee that will form a community structure. Everyone follow their plan and make yourselves useful for this project. Consolidate JK resources into one network. Multiple sites can exist but find a way to create a universal portal for JK. Either find a stable Zone type client and use that as the community or run things from IRC but have an IRC client within the site portal so users can interact easily.

Tim - maybe the reason people donÒ€™t play anymore is because of people like YOU who talk crap to everyone else and turn your back on the game you played since you were in diapers. Less with the mouth, more with the assistance. Your attitude is terrible, especially when he is trying to launch a joint effort to assist the community. Either change your view or gtfo. DonÒ€™t bother talking shit to me because ill simply ban your account.

3>

I have spoken, now leave me alone until my assistance is required.

Master Jedi Wodz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2008 11:43 am
(@beefcaike)
Trusted Member Admin

Okay, I'm back from work, and I finally made my way through this thread. I am really enjoying what I am seeing here. People actually being serious with real ideas on how to bring my favorite game in the universe back to life!!

To start off, I have always watched Wodz and the way he does things. I've come to understand him a lot better over the years. He is a very intelligent individual, and I think his proposition for a real business-like plan should not be overlooked. Since we are dealing with such a small group of people that are dedicated to Jedi Knight, the idea of running this endeavor as a business should be the way to go in my opinion.

JK has been operating over the last 5 years solely by users that want to keep the game alive, yet they lack the certain know-how to keep it stable. I say "they" as a term to describe myself and a few others. I've been doing my part by keeping a near active channel, and welcoming newcomers with open arms. However, that alone is not enough to keep them wanting to come back again. Some have stayed, most have vanished. The reason for the lack of activity is due to lack of interest. It's a fun game, but it takes almost forever to set things up to work now that routers have come into play. The part that really sucks is, once they finally get everything set up... THEN WHAT? Nobody is playing!! I try to play as much as I can, but I can sense it is slowly dwindling down to becoming unimportant anymore.

There needs to be a 24/7 server with BOTS!

R-Bots is an open sourced project on Massassi which has yet to be perfected. I've seen people make dedicated servers, which were great and all... but you always had to organize players in order to get a game going. So essentially, they were useless. Why not just host a game?

Now, a dedicated server with bots already in it is what we need! Even though they aren't real people that you can talk to, they will still put your dick in the dirt... and THATS WHAT PEOPLE WANT!

When people have a sudden urge to play JK, they come looking for us. And what happens 80% of the time? They get no response whatsoever for a game. So they join one of the user-created dedicated servers... only to find nobody is there. So what do they do after that? They say "FUCK THIS!" and leave, likely never to return again. We have lost countless prospective players due to this inadequacy. A dedicated server with bots is one certain way to bring more players to the ring.

Even with a game to play once a person gets to the chat is only half the battle. Like you have said before, a centralized streamlined interface for people to easily find us is a definite must have. We have a good start now, all we need are the right tools to push it to the edge. We have several highly talented programmers and developers to achieve this. All we need is the motivation.

All I can say is that THIS WILL WORK IF WE ALL CHIP IN! JK CAN be revived, and we can once again have a bustling community with countless games... all we have to do is WANT IT!

I love this game more than any other game that has ever been released. JK was my first online gaming experience, and with everything I've seen since 1997, NOTHING COMPARES!! The weird thing about this is that, I am not the only person who thinks so. YOU, the person reading this right now probably feel the same way.

So in conclusion, I am gung ho for this new approach!! Let's brainstorm some ideas and then discuss them in a mature professional manner. :D

irc.gamesurge.net #jk
JK Community Headquarters
The JK Community Info Site
The DDC - Dralloc Download Central

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2008 1:15 pm
(@kirby)
Trusted Member

What can we do about the JK community? Everyone who reads/posts on this stupid forum loves JK and it's community (albeit there are a few fagbeasts). So what can we do?

- IGZ was good for "marketing" JK due to its aesthetic user interface and the nostalgia factor of the zone, but it was inherently homosexual due to its errors.

Shut up and die you fagbeasts.

Red,

As a prominent advocate for all human rights, I take serious offense to your comments. Your usage of such cultural slurs does nothing more than highlight the depth of your own ignorance. In my humble opinion, your distinctively hateful disposition renders you unfit to be a part of any functional community, especially one which commuters are looking to expand.

Double Kisses,
Kirby

PS. Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/LoveBScott and http://www.LoveBScott.com for more information on attaining a positive outlook on life.

Love muffins get into this
B. Scott is so splendiferous
If you have no flaws flaws
Hit 'em with the Paw-Paw

http://www.LoveBScott.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/LoveBScott

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2008 7:05 pm
(@r3dphoenix)
Trusted Member

Kirby, I told you to stop spamming your pointless song lyrics in IRC because once we get rejuvenated people won't stand for your crap, and this is your pathetic attempt at retaliation? Oh please.

I'll respond to the more sensible posts in a little while.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/05/2008 7:48 pm
(@r3dphoenix)
Trusted Member

Ok, let me respond to each person in turn, Vallo first:

Quote:
going to get us anywhere because they're just goals without any plan. I apologize if you took me using you as the posterboy for the average JKDF2.net user the wrong way. I don't consider you a peon and welcome your ideas and suggestions -- better yet what you actively plan to do. This place is great for talk but nothing really ever seems to get done.

No problem. In regards to the gettings things done, i've got some nice ideas and an implementation strategy which i'll explain in the next post or two when i respond to others.

Quote:
And what is it exactly that I would like to see? I personally would like to see this site not be the armpit of what remains of this community.

Again, think back to MSN Zone, the community on that was no different than the current community at the moment. Most people back then were of relatively young age and the community was thriving and functional. Like i iterated in my previous response, 75%+ of people in the community that are still active and those people keeping it active would be the "armpit". The psychological application of the "armpit" mentality is not the problem at all. Perhaps on this site in particular discussions, particularly about Jk rejuvination should be conducted in a coherent and adult manner, but for the community and the IRC chatroom it's really not the issue. Don't take this section of the comment the wrong way either, my intention is not to troll/flame you here.

Quote:
I wish that people in general would stop comparing me to Zeq. I have no problem with the do-whatever-the-fark-you-want-to-do rules of the forums but I think they are not going to improve this whole idea of marketing ourselves better. As it stands right now, this site has very little to market. Almost everything we have JKHub does better as far as content. We're marginally good for organizing games and tournaments but with the release of JKL this will most likely shift to JKHub as well. So in essence all this site offers are these forums, of which maybe 50% (a generous figure) of the posts are useful?

Indeed, but that is because we are a very small community at the moment. Once all the technical issues and JK issues are sorted and the rejuvination process is under way, many people will be coming back to post on this site and they will more than likely have a friendly and adult manner since they are coming back into a community, and this will help to establish the posting rationale on this site. The crux of your response seems to be that of the mindset of people and this site - although this site will be a vital tool for the community, it is the community we are trying to establish, and not just this site.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your enthusiasm I just think we need to have realistic expectations. I'm fully behind whatever plan this is but so far I haven't heard a plan

Exactly, because before a proper plan can be made all information/sources of help must be gathered first before I can put together a proper plan. I have extensive business experience and run my own business, I plan to write a complete business plan in relation to the JK rejuvination and I have lots of ideas. Once we get more discussion flowing in this thread and I speak to a few more key people, then i'll put together a plan and distribute it to everyone. Trust me on this one, I have a plan.

#1 Centralize the community
#2 Get JKL working and marketed properly
#3 Solve the technical issues in regards to Router problems and make a concise guide and try to help Randoms as much as possible

Quote:
As far as #2, Zeq has been keeping JKL mostly underwraps so I don't know how we can make it work any better other than helping do beta testing. We can certainly market JKL -- I've regularly stated it's superiority over IGZ on these forums and else where.

I've spoken a bit with Zeq, and by your post that follows this one it looks like you have as well. I plan to bring together all key participants in this process together and this will not be an issue.

Quote:
#3 already exists on JKHub.

In regards to solving router issues a Linksys tutorial exists on JKhub. I am a highly active member of the community and i've read all router help/jk setup help guides and I still cannot host games, and i'm technically proficient in regards to computers. If someone of my towering intellect can't fix it i don't see how newbs can? This is what i meant by a coherent and complete FAQ/Help guide on how to fix problems. There is some help on JKHub, and on JkCommunity, but the resources need to be pooled and a properly written guide needs to be established.

Quote:
#4 has been under way for a while already, talk to Andrew L.

In regards to increasing the awareness of the rejuvenation - I'm sure it has, but this kind of things needs to be marketed and advertised correctly. I plan to spend a lot of time doing this myself and I can be extremely persuasive when it comes to written communication. I'll speak to Andrew though and i appreciate his efforts. This is basically all about advertising and marketing, two of my key strong points. Like i said, I have a plan for all of this and it will be presented in a professional " business plan " for the rejuvenation.

Quote:
So this leaves #1... which boils down to uniting a user base of <= 70 individuals of which maybe 25 are active? To me this all seems too little to late but heck I've give it a go once again.

I appreciate your help and i'll be speaking to you a lot more in future. I'm sure you've read Wodz's post also. He is one of the major keys here.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/05/2008 11:39 pm
(@r3dphoenix)
Trusted Member

In response to Wodz,

Quote:
I am a busy person, and do not have time to invest into the community that I have already done so much for over nearly a decade of time.

With that aside, Red is entirely correct.

Why of course, i'm always right πŸ˜€

Since the fall of zone the JK community has become an archaic joke. All rejuvenation attempts have been admirable yet laughable.

Quote:
This is not rocket science and it is sad that the community continues to shrink. I propose an electoral committee be voted be issued or voted upon to systematically re-evaluate and restructure of the JK community.

This needs to be viewed as a hierarchy business in which administrative decisions are made for the community. People with a business background would understand this best and know that players who are merely “popular” may not be the best choice to help structure of community.

I personally would elect Beefcaike, Zeqmacaw, and Redphoenix to become the structuring leaders of the JK community. JK skill should mean squat here. The smartest people in the community should be elected for various characteristics and reasons.

I elect Beefcaike for his in-depth knowledge of JK editing, video editing, managerial skills shown throughout the span of IRC, and his connection with users. He is well known and since he is a competitive JK player, he understands the value(s) of having the community grow into something better. More to the point he is constantly active and always has the interests of the community itself in mind.

I elect Zeq also based on his managerial skills and background of JK editing. He as well is constantly active and has the interests of the community in mind. Since Zeq has been helping run websites and managing sections of the JK community, this is an obvious choice.

I elect Redphoenix based on his intellectual stature and disposition. Regardless of your opinions, he is smarter than the majority of the community combined and understands the importance of communal longevity. Although his game play has been called into question by other players and his text based rude attitude of faux paus’ may irritate some, his post here should initiate a s.t.f.u. command in your brains and have you understand that he is not a peon, but someone who can possibly help to bring about a brighter future for JK.

I agree with this, I Wodz has made his points clear and i 100% agree with them. I would add Vallo to the list though, he has shown lots of interest and active participation, and although i've not spoken to him much he has taken the time to reply to my posts and is showing and active interest and he seems intelligent. I would value his input.

Quote:
If you people work together, I am your future. I alone can make the community grow. DSbr may laugh at my overwhelming knowledge of JK history, but perhaps it plays a devilish role here. I can contact countless old school players (who in turn can contact other old school players), and request them to pay a visit to our community. Since I was never renowned for my JK skill, but for my popularity within the games existence, I am known and accepted by all, love it or hate it.

In the past when people have tried to jumpstart the community, they have always came to me asking for assistance to bring hordes of members in. I tend to turn down their request because I dont want to jade off any of these players. How would it have looked to my reputation if I listened and ran out and contacted hundreds of old school JK players to come to IGZ and then 2 weeks later its EMPTY. In the future, if I ask them to come somewhere else, they are going to remember that and say "you know what, i have better things to do".

You people make me look bad! Your inherent failure to keep the community together is ominously destroying hopes of any future. Look at the #$#$ statistics, every single time we have moved around our numbers drop drastically.

Zone to IRC - MASSIVE drop-off, mainly because people had NO IDEA WHERE EVERYONE WENT!

IRC to gsurge - Large drop-off from people tired of moving

gsurge to IRC/irc room battle - small drop-off from tired users

IRC to IGZ migration - large gain, even larger LOSS due to IGZ homosexuality.

Zone worked because people could find it easily, it didn’t crash, and the software was user friendly. The average person doesn’t know how to use IRC and or wtf IRC even is. Im not suggesting leaving IRC...but if we could get Zone, or something stable, that would be a good platform to work with.

I agree 100% again. I was going to quote more but I would basically be quoting and saying " I agree" so i shall stop now! Wodz makes a lot of valid points and his extensive knowledge of the community and his vast network of contacts will be integral to this project once i get more info and talk to the key participants. I'll be speaking more about this in future once more discussion flows in this thread.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/05/2008 12:17 am
 Wodz
(@wodz)
Reputable Member

I agree that Vallo may have more to offer than Zeq. We should eventually find a way to have th users vote on this, that way there is a universally unbiased consensus.

我的很多星球大战的球迷在中国..如果你想要的个人签名,急于进入长期队列!!!

主杰迪Wodz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2008 6:03 am
 Mask
(@mask)
Trusted Member

some doofus sent me this direct link,
what can I say i think your all crazy..the way I see it , people don't play this game anymore or stick around for more than a week it is not becuase there is no one to play or someone is being an asshole and scared them off, its becuase everyone moved on.. to better games..most people have better pc's and the games out today blow this shit away. yea..JK is a great game..but its well past its sell by date, like it or not, it maybe fun to play for a week but thats about it, I think most well known players from back then dont attemt to play anymore..becuase they come back and realise they suck, becuase they just don't have the time anymore to get good+ they see no one around in the lobbys and leave before the slight chance someone does come in they know and thinks "loser still plays", they think fuck it. most people I still know from JK are just plain busy with life, familys, jobs, or other games with established clans. i am still in constact with ALOT of jk'ers I have sent this website to all of them..before , some signed up, Ive sent this link out again today to try help get a few more faces, but honestly from what I get back, there is zero interest. i sent a message to euph_jcs/queen_nbk to send out this website to every single mots person on her icq's, msn's she has just about every big/popular name there ever was in mots from 98. she is like the wodz of mots as far as mots history goes, if it will bring new players who knows, anyhow goodluck, youll need it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2008 8:16 am
(@dsbr_phelan)
Honorable Member

I will break it down very simply for you.

1. There is very little of the community left. You need to organize a day and time for people to congregate; otherwise the complaints like "i went in but there were only 3 people in the room" happen. I attempted this months ago but received a grand total of 8-10 votes or something in like 5 fucking months. Without this community organization we can never get the ball rolling.

2. I can tell you IRC is not a basis for the jk community; I've been on IRC since 2000. IGZ had it's flawes, but the zone client is the best way to keep this game alive. The only reason it "spread" everyone out like beef said is because him and his 420 buddies are faggits who need to have power. And kirby can't flood her stupid lyrics in there so she won't go. Big deal, with IGZ you lost a couple of idling burnouts who didn't even play the game but stayed glued to the comp so every hour or so they can do the command /me burns one. IRC is actually the thing that spread the community out to begin with. If any of you had any sort of objectivity at all you would realize that already. Do you want to know why IRC is not a basis for a community? because it does not promote communities. Games that use IRC are games like q3 in it's prime, cs, UT, etc. All are server based games with very little of an interactive community to speak of compared to what jk had. One of JK's foundations was it's interactive community. And you want to take that away? You think people want to idle in a channel where little pissants ban you for saying a bad word. Or where some pothead just acts like a complete idiot, and people like kirby run trivia bots or spam song lyrics all day?

3. JKHub vs. the pot heads. Another factor in tearing the community apart. JKHub are just a bunch of little pissants who do nothing but whine about how immature the rest of the community is, and choose to dissociate themselves from the community so they can make levels for... who again? they cut themselves off from everyone so I guess they make levels for themselves now. Mind you there are some nice JKHub guys, but my general experience with that group is negative. And don't get me started on massassi people...

Basically IRC has allowed JK to become clicky; and that's all it is now. If people like beef and the jkhub people stopped bitching and moaning like little fucking fagits and just chose to be apart of the community instead of needing everything their way we would all be much better. But as it stands; 1/3rd the community is potheads who do nothing but make levels occasionally and smoke weed all the time(or claim to). 1/3rd little pissants who bitch all the time. 1/3rd outsiders who just want to play the game, these people are not constant because the first 2 parts have created the impression of a lack of activity due to most people's natural inclination to be gregarious. <--- that's the key word boys and girls, look it up; that is EXACTLY why this community will never fly...

Basically you internet nerds need to force yourself to all be in the same room where nobody has the power. Like it was in the old days. But realizing that you all probably have many self esteem issues and crave the power you have through the internet and anonymity I see this being a lost cause.

And I hate to burst your bubble about IRC being superior to IGZ. But I was in IRC when there was no IGZ alternative. And I can tell you games were harder to come by in there when the community was not "spread out" than it was in IGZ now that the community is "spread out". And I had to suffer through smokedawgs fatness and the fucking annoyance of kirby's antics for what could be hours before I could manage to find a game that wasn't ctf.

Oh and someone made a point about how IGZ was cool and all because of nostalgia but that's it, and after a month or so the novelty was gone........

HELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

WHY DO YOU THINK PEOPLE ARE PLAYING THIS GAME TO BEGIN WITH? BECAUSE IT'S CUTTING EDGE GRAPHICS AND TECHNOLOGY??????

It only lasted a month or so because people like beef complained it had errors and stopped going there. And then all his chronies followed him. And I think most of the JKHub people just refused to go there to begin with and stayed in their little bubble. Did you ever notice how half the room was a bunch of people that we hadn't seen before, and new people were rolling in quicker than people rolling out. We were building a community and then the mainstay's gave up. That's why it failed. All the lifers gave the appearance of an active community so the newcomers would stay and play, and once in a while one of those lifers would saddle up to play a game. It was a great illusion that stopped working when the lifers stopped idling.

It's like you're the San Antonio Spurs and then you take away their bench. They're no longer a playoff team.

I know you all are deathly opposed to it. But I will be extremely basic here - You need the client. It's not going to be easy, it's not a quick fix. You might have to put up with some bugs for a while. You might even have to idle in a room with someone you don't like. You need to grind it out. It could very well take months leading into years to have it take off. Unless you win the lottery or have some genius internet idea nothing in life is instant gratification. And it takes work, dedication, and determination; whether it's sports, business, or personal growth. But the reality of THIS game is it needs the client. JK was on gamespy, heat.net, kali, even IRC... It was succesful ONLY on the zone though.........

When are you going to face facts and take one for the team? We require no innovation, just blatantly obvious observations.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2008 9:07 am
(@dsbr_phelan)
Honorable Member

I don't agree with you mask. But then again, all your jk buddies are probably post 2000 nf saberists. A lot of people from the older generations had a different kind of appreciation for the game.

Nobody cares if they're good anymore. They're obviously not here for competition, there is no cases, there is no CWT. They're here to have a good time. Especially the old timers who actually played in JK's hay day. Can't speak for the new folk though. You don't need to dedicate yourself to the game. And realistically all of us who played in 97-99 are a little too old for competitive gaming. So no I really doubt they dedicate themselves to any games because most likely they are working full time, possibly with wife/kids. They just want to come here to play the game they probably enjoyed more than any other a few times a month.

Charlie would still play this game if he knew that it was still alive. Tef and DJ frequented IGZ. DS would still play from time to time. Newmodel would play. Sabs would play just as soon as he gets his pc back. That's just a short list off the top of my head.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2008 9:33 am
Page 1 / 5
Share:

I Here’s your ThrowbackΒ