Share:
Notifications
Clear all

GameRanger: a new online gaming service for JK and MotS

(@scott-kevill)

Hi all,

I didn't see any way of submitting news on the main page, so I've posted here.

I just thought I'd let you know about a new multiplayer network I've created for playing Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith online called GameRanger.

Basically, GameRanger makes it quick and easy to play your friends online.

It has full lobby support for over 500 different games and demos (including the JK games, of course), without the hassles and headaches that usually happen with network connections (eg. routers & firewalls).

I'm really excited to be releasing it, and hope it helps boost the Jedi Knight community by allowing people to play that were unable to until now due to problems with opening ports, etc. You should find this far simpler and more reliable than Hamachi.

Now I know you've been burned before by getting your hopes up with IGZ. Neither IGZ nor GSA do anything to help you with the port problem, which really makes things worse for a dwindling population. GameRanger does not try to be like Zone, it just tries to be the best place to play online.

GameRanger may result in some more exposure to JK because people will already be using it to play all their other games, and it doesn't force you to be in separate per-game lobbies like IGZ and GSA do (always bad idea for small populations).

For what it's worth, although GameRanger is new to the PC, it actually began its life on the Mac back in 1998. That actually makes it the longest running of any online gaming service. I'm not new to online gaming by any means. :)

You can download it at www.GameRanger.com

Topic starter Posted : 13/11/2008 9:17 pm
(@new_crimson)

Just downloaded it and am looking forward to see if this catches on. I just came back from a long hiatus only to find that the Zone no longer supports JK!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/11/2008 12:26 pm
Share:

I Here’s your Throwback