Share:
Notifications
Clear all

your JK controls setup keyboard vs mouse

(@dsbr_rhophein)
Eminent Member

When I first started playing JK which was the very first online game that I had ever played I like many others used the keyboard for movement controls I also used the arrow keys for directional movement because thats how I remember playing doom back in the day...

About 2 weeks later I ran into EVIL_Smokie which later became DSbr_Sithlord and we played FF oasis in which he told me that I needed to learn the mouse. He showed me some other stuff in FF Oasis so after some quick training i decided to learn the mouse. At first I was obviously looking all over the place and since I was used to using the arrow keys for my forward and back movement and the left and right arrow keys for look left look right I decided it would be brilliant idea to just use the mouse keys for forward and back movement while using all the other keyboard keys for everything else since I was already starting to get comfortable with them.

Fast forward 10 years... and now I realize that fire keys on the mouse are better because they are short throw microswitches.. and are much faster. I tested this by taking an online reaction test where you can either click with the mouse or push a key on the keyboard. I found that my mouse click reaction time is almost 2 times as fast as reaction time pushing a keyboard button. Not only that but it is far more consistant than pushing a keyboard button. Since one rarely takes a shot without moveing on in a direction of both y and x axis im guessing that a better reaction time for fireing the shot would make a difference in shooting accuracy.

ANYHOW... does anyone else use the keyboard for fire 1 and 2??? also those of you that were elite FFers {you know who you are} that use mouse for fire buttons and the keyboard for destruction button do you ever notice a difference in your accuracy between conc shots and destruction shots?

Online reaction test: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/java/stopl.html

Topic starter Posted : 24/06/2008 8:29 am
 Hyde
(@hyde)
Reputable Member

Haha, I remember I used Keyboard only back when I used to play Duke Nukem 3D (I loved that game! It kicks Quake's ass!)

Anyway... cool info, man! Although I took the test and I get very similar results with keyboard and mouse...

For JK I use the mouse buttons to shoot, and all my foce powers are on my keyboard (all around my movement keys), I've been using the same config since 1998, I think, hehe
I remember someone who used keyboard only back in the day (can't remember who was it, tho...) and it was the only "serious" JKer I've ever met who didn't use mouse and was still pretty good

JAS_Hyde
JAS - JK Online Gaming Clan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2008 11:14 am
(@kirby)
Trusted Member

I still play keyboard only. I feel so uncomfortable trying to aim with the mouse and move with the keyboard. Maybe its because I'm left-handed. LOL

Double Kisses

Love muffins get into this
B. Scott is so splendiferous
If you have no flaws flaws
Hit 'em with the Paw-Paw

http://www.LoveBScott.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/LoveBScott

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2008 12:15 pm
 Hyde
(@hyde)
Reputable Member

I still play keyboard only. I feel so uncomfortable trying to aim with the mouse and move with the keyboard. Maybe its because I'm left-handed. LOL

Double Kisses

Ok that's two, then, hehe

JAS_Hyde
JAS - JK Online Gaming Clan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2008 6:04 am
(@dsbr_rhophein)
Eminent Member

If I remember right Jeb played with all keyboard. I think Nightmarz also played with keyboard but later switched to mouse.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/06/2008 7:27 am
(@nikon)
Estimable Member

I have all my force powers on my keyboard. Delete = grip, End = Destruction, Page Up = Force Seeing, Page Down = Force Pull, Home = Force Jump, Numpad 0 = Force Speed. I only have Fire 2, Fire 1, and Jump on my mouse. But I use the Ctrl buttom on my keyboard for Fire 1 a lot.

WD_Reiko, WD_NiKoN, JaG_Reiko, JaG_NiKoN

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2008 9:07 pm
(@dsbr_rhophein)
Eminent Member

So you have your controls on the right side of your keyboard reiko?? Seems like it would get uncomfortable. Anyway do you notice a difference in accuracy bettween your destructions (keyboard button) and conc shots (mouse button)??

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/06/2008 5:22 am
(@subzero)
Reputable Member

controls for an nf gunner.

wsad = movement/strafing
mouse = looking/attack/jump
space = bacta
x = change view
tab = aiming recepticle
c = crouch

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2008 8:11 am
(@nikon)
Estimable Member

Yeah, all my controls are on the right side of my keyboard. Numpad 7 = Saber, Numpad 2 = Conc rifle, Numpad 4 = Rail gun, and I use the arrows. These are the same setup keys WD_Luke18 used so I just copied his.

As for accuracy, I don't really know because I don't pay attention to it. I think the response time is probably better on the keyboard, but I feel more comfortable using a mouse + keyboard.

WD_Reiko, WD_NiKoN, JaG_Reiko, JaG_NiKoN

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2008 9:28 am
(@dsbr_rhophein)
Eminent Member

You think the responce time is better on the keyboard??? Thats backwards to me my responce is faster on the mouse microswitched buttons. Take that online reaction test I posted finish it with the mouse and get your average then take it again and finish it with the keyboard and get your average. See if Im just weird... My average on the mouse is consistantly .16 to .18 and my average on keyboard is anywhere form .22 to .28

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/06/2008 2:00 pm
Share:

I Here’s your Throwback