Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Food for thought: "Eliteism"

Page 1 / 4
(@prince_yackerz)
Reputable Member

I realized something... I never liked "Eliteists" / all the "elite" clans that bragged about skills in such a pointless endeavor. People that would classify other people as newbie, lagger, haxor, OMG the Newbie Killed me, Elite Lagger. In a way it is very much like white supremacy and racial profiling, only without real life implications. "Eliteists" would do this constantly in JK, I was even guilty of it at times. Thinking someone was a newbie just because they were in a clan like WLP or IGF. I'm sure even you "eliteists" even would almost put Prince in that category.

From the very onset of me seeing someone think they were better than me at such a pointless thing as sabers.. made me furious inside..
Great Examples:
Nemesis when I first played him sometime in 1999... (after being a total jerk to me he then tries to suade me to join his clan)
Soulreaper that ridiculous man.. (every hit I had on him.. OMG)

I could of been in any clan I wanted to.. but I wanted to disassociate myself with that attitude. I always wanted the humble victory. Since I was humble about it, people often underestimated me as a saberist. I could illustrate games I won, tourny's I've won, but I won't unless you don't believe me. You can say Prince wasn't elite, but to give the stereotype Prince = "Not as good as me", was just blatant "Eliteism".

Maybe people thought I had that attitude of "eliteism", if that was the case then maybe I was just presenting a false face. That attitude is what I tried to inspire my members to avoid and for a large number of them was successful. Even a large number of VDS were non-eliteists, but every clan had that rotten apple. Quite oddly many of the people that held the "Eliteism" attitude were far from worthy of holding it. (Even in Prince)

Don't remark you didn't like "Eliteism" because you weren't worthy of it.
On the contrary, I didn't like "Eliteism" because I was better than it. If not at JK, then at least as a person.

Topic starter Posted : 23/01/2006 6:13 pm
(@subzero)
Reputable Member

-sigh-

im guessing this is probably aimed at me in particular, right?

You may disagree, but I'm not an elitist, you need to understand that this is the internet and a video game. The very reason people act like jerks on the net is cause its NOT real life at all. Maybe people who don't take internet gaming so seriously are labelled by everyone else as "elitists"
did you ever consider that?

If youre worried about this kind of thing on the net, then thank god that it's probably just some guys venting and poking fun at the gaming community and not REAL LIFE racism where people are bashed, killed, abused and tortured.

You say its like white supremacy racism etc etc but its so not, lol nobody here knows each other in real life, and i very much doubt they act like this in the real world, and if people are gonna get personally cut up and upset over jk talk, i think they really do need psychological help.

These are the kind of people who get typically classified as "newbies", and these "newbies" dislike being called so because they take it literally and get offended when their gaming skill is called into question. It's SO NEWBIE (haha).

The people who label these guys "newbies" are generally known as "elite", which ironically is a term usually used by newbies to describe their antagonists. I don't label myself elite, (and if I ever have, its been used in mock humour) but I definetely label myself as a more well balanced human being in regards to actually having a successful life, job and relationships.

Anyway you have actually started a pretty interesting topic, and im sorry if ive offended you recently but you need to see where im coming from and take most of what i say with a HUGE grain of salt.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2006 8:36 pm
 Wodz
(@wodz)
Reputable Member

$5 says this is about me πŸ˜‰

(Reads his speech)

I would like to thank the JK community, for who I blame all of this on. Had players actually beaten me year after year it may have suppressed my god-like stature in this archaic video game. But, alas, they did not, and thus, I am the alpha and the omega.

I would also like to thank my keyboard, with whom I am able to expedite such immaculate text at unfathomable rates and accuracies.

And my deepest heartfelt apologies to Prince_Yackman; "don't cry, its just a game baby" πŸ˜‰

Autographs start at $19.95

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2006 1:24 am
(@thad420)
Eminent Member

Yack, hate to be a dick, but Prince was full of newbies that thought they were elite.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2006 6:18 am
(@thad420)
Eminent Member

"Yeah! I'm in Prince and I negged Thad! I'm Elite!"

that never happened

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2006 6:33 am
(@prince_yackerz)
Reputable Member

ya,. I really didn't tend to throw that at anyone..
it was just a thought of why I never joined an "elite" clan
haha
and yes sub you are right,.I was just wishing to make a comparison b/w supremacy and eliteism.. not the implications behind my comparison hold any of the same effects as real life. Like you said the thought of eliteism is really generated by the "newbie" to describe their antagonist..

The newbie had nothing else to vent on their unfortunate loss in JK so they decided to take out their frustration on the "Elite" and developed a bond of hatred to the elite.
truly without the newbie the elite wouldn't of existed
and no one would of probally acted like an elite..
ya it is just a game so no matter what was said it really didn't matter
some childish newbies didn't realize that and thus took offense at it.
I simply to make the zone a more friendlier / fun place for all even the serious newbie tried to avoid being perceived as an Eliteists newbie raper lol. Furthermore back when JK was more popular I took offense at being looked at as a newbie just b/c of my name ..why? b/c I don't know I'm just a competetive bloke, who never likes to be considered 2nd best.
I always sympathized with the newbie instead of oppressing them...
I left my oppression of them in the game.. of course it was often hysterical..
haha and further yes Prince had a lot of eliteists who shouldn't of been, they pretty much voiced my humbleness..
ironically the Prince that didn't use Eliteists remarks were probally the ones dat were actually skilled.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/01/2006 8:50 am
(@subzero)
Reputable Member

I cannot deny that I am one thousand three hundred and thirty seven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2006 3:23 pm
(@england_vds)
Trusted Member

hehehe Im with you on that one Yack, I cant stand elitists. That said, now its 10 years on, its nice fun to finally be arrogant cos I dont have to back it up with a 3 hour sabers session hehehehe!

However, I dont think that many clans actually said `we are elite, your shit, lololol`. I think it was genrally more that other peoples perception was that everyone in a given clan thought of themselves as elite even though they didnt. All it took was one or two people to go bragging and the entire clan got tarred with the same brush.

Back in the day I used to let my play do the talking - I allways respected you for being the same.

Its a little ironic really, becasue the names that people remember are genrally those who spent all their time chat whoring and saying they were the best, but when they come up against someone that actually spent their time playing and practicing they got their arses handed to them. However, I guess those chat whores would just argue `omg hax` and spam the main chat channel and move on.

-[ VDS - You Know You Love It ]-

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2006 12:26 pm
(@prince_yackerz)
Reputable Member

amen England lol..
ya I never believed any individual clans were like that as a whole..
I think all or at least Most the elite clans the majority of their members
were good friendly people, however there were always the few that
stood out and yes made the newbie Hate the Elite (even the elite clan taht the eliteist was representing) lol..

Yes, and that is why no one mentions your name or my name much
amongst the greats we were always humble.. in fact I knew nothing
of you until you were in Prince.. and even once you left Prince..
I really didn't even hear of you hardly at all..
Furthermore haha.. I never took JK so seriously as to the point were
it was life or death for me to beat everyone that I played..
I do believe that if I really wanted to I could of beaten everyone or almost everyone that I played...
For the most part I did that.. on some occasions I wished to lose to boost
the confidence of saberists (especially in Prince)... I lost to zodiac for that reason lol...
(and since it was a Prince tournament and as leader of Prince I didn't want to say make it look I rigged the tournament for me to win, Zodiac was good though, he deserved to win, I already was satiated and satisfied with the amount of winning I did in tournaments)
All the other Prince only tournmanets back in the day I didn't even play in, but just ran them.
I really can't recall anyone else that I would duel that was definatively better than me.. All I know is that when I wasn't playing Prince I had something to prove... I really didn't play for myself; I played for my clan. That is a difference between me and a lot of JK players..
It didn't bother me much to lose to a Prince so naturally I didn't try as hard, but to lose to someone else I couldn't have it. As for the Prince I did lose against, there wasn't one that I didn't beat at least half a dozen times before they beat me.. then after they got frustrated with me beating them; I realized I should boost their spirits and had nothing left to prove (such as me being a worthy leader to them), so I played not to my fullest but to a level where I kept the game close in order to boost their morale.

(England might be the only exception to that rule.. as in the only thing I can recall from our games is a lot of stalemating , and I didn't play you often because we both accepted and knew we were greats..and further it got to be quite tiring dueling on end without a hit haha.. )
and I'd still argue to this day.. that if you and I would of teamed against anyone we would of won,. (especially if we would of kept teaming together and even gotten better than our initial near unbeatableness) of course..Hexen and I made a near unbeatable team too for a couple tournys) Not to discredit Axion and Oxide who I also teamed with a good bit back in the day and both were real decent saberists.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/01/2006 2:48 pm
(@subzero)
Reputable Member

well, I was always a major chat wh0re but when it came down to it, i never hacked, i didnt dispute or complain and I took my losses on the chin, cause it is just a game after all right. but i always played fair and respected the people i lost to. But i cannot deny that i was and always will be a chat wh0re deep down.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2006 4:38 pm
(@prince_yackerz)
Reputable Member

and i respect you for that subz.. least u were a chat whore that at least could somewhat back it up lol

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/01/2006 6:07 pm
(@england_vds)
Trusted Member

I dunno about the stalemates Yack, I seem to recall you never beat me πŸ˜›

I would chat whore from time to time, was good fun occasioanlly. Although around 2000 it was pretty much impossible to get a word in as there were allways 3 or 4 DSbr pwnzoring main chat lol fond memories.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2006 11:45 pm
(@prince_yackerz)
Reputable Member

hehe maybe you'd beat me 1 to 0 in a game we were supposed to play to 3.. then you'd agree on quitting lol.. πŸ™‚ who knows.. we didn't play against each other much nevertheless... in fact I don't even know if I ever did play you once I started using mouse lol.... and I think I definately got a lot better from then on.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/01/2006 3:42 am
 Wodz
(@wodz)
Reputable Member

"I dont think that many clans actually said `we are elite, your ****, lololol"

Newer clans that did claim to be elite
KTL
VDS
KoHV
KHS
PhN
dP

Humble clans that didnt
FaiTH
Prince
DE
HDK

Before anyone replies to my comment, consider this; stfu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2006 2:12 am
(@england_vds)
Trusted Member

Shows how little you know Wodz. The offical VDS line was never `elite`, we all hated that word. The cloest we got to calling ourselves that was by saying that we only recturte the best out there. The only members who would say `omg elite omg` were people that just joined and wanted the world to know, and they allways got a bolocking from the other members cos at the end of the day, it just ment that all of us had to put up with yet more bullshit from the narbies, and as Im sure you can appreciate, we (like any other half decent clan) had to put up with so much bullshit that the last thing we wanted to do was attract more attention to ourselves.

The only people that I would say activly wanted the whole `elite` thing were DSbr, chat wh0ring legends!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2006 2:19 am
Page 1 / 4
Share:

I Here’s your ThrowbackΒ