Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Curious: Would you like the source code?

(@maxrabbit)
Eminent Member

A simple poll: Do you wish the source code for JKDFII was released? Once the poll is complete, I'll let you in on some strange details! Vote! :D

Topic starter Posted : 13/04/2009 1:14 am
(@eah_xxheretikxx)
Noble Member

Absolutely. While I lack the knowledge to take advantage of such a release, I'm sure it would spur a great deal of interest from those with the know-how. Now I'm curious. Do you have inside information? What are these strange details you speak of?

ruthless deeds return to harass their architect

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2009 3:24 am
(@maxrabbit)
Eminent Member

I bet that you could take advantage of it; Look at what this guy did with Rise of the Triad: here, and he had hardly any of the necessary experience. Unfortunately, the information that I have is a tad bit disappointing, which is why I'm waiting for everyone's comments first.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/04/2009 9:48 am
 Rage
(@rage)

I definitely would. While I don't have the time to play with it now, I could tinker with it later in the year.

WD_Rage

Author:
Professional Ajax, 2nd ed.
Beginning JavaScript, 3rd ed.

Blog

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2009 9:56 am
(@maxrabbit)
Eminent Member

Well, time flies! I'm actually leaving for 3 fun months of Army Basic Training this Monday and was cleaning up things, when I found what I was going to post here! I wrote this letter to LucasArts:

Dear LucasArts representative,

I’m writing to you concerning one of my favorite games in the whole entire world: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II. This game pretty much conquers any game out there, new or old.

However, because it is so old, support on new hardware is extremely limited. But has that limited the loyal community? Not. One. Bit.

It may or may not surprise you that there’s still a loyal JKDFII community. A lot of people can be found hanging out on the forums at jkdf2.net, modding at jkhub.net, and playing/chatting daily at irc.gamesurge.net #jk. I represent both the JKDFII community and myself when I politely entreat you for the public release of the source code to Jedi Knight Dark Forces II.

This would allow for the loyal community to take the game to an entirely new level. An example of the possibilities the source code brings can be seen in “Rise of the Triad”. After the release of the source code, the eager community brought the game to Linux, Macs, Windows XP and Vista, and even portable systems like the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP.

Wouldn’t this be fantastic for Jedi Knight Dark Forces II to also rejuvenate into modern technology? I tell you: if the source code was released, I would pick it up and work towards making a perfect Windows Vista port! The entire community would rejoice!

While I practically jump up and down at the thought of the JKDFII source code being released, I have not been so ignorant to not consider any negative possibilities. However, after much thinking, I cannot think of a single negative! I don’t believe I’m being naïve-I just don’t see how anything bad could come out of releasing the source to an 11 year old game!

So, I hope that I’ve presented my entreaty well enough that you’ll take it into consideration!

Unfortunately, the reply I got was "We send back unsolicited requests without reading them. Sorry." :(

But, at least it was a try! Maybe we should flood them with mail so that they can't ignore it :P

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/06/2009 8:09 am
(@dsbr_phelan)
Honorable Member

maybe it's because it looks like it was written by a mentally handicapped 10 year old.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/06/2009 10:20 pm
(@maxrabbit)
Eminent Member

maybe it's because it looks like it was written by a mentally handicapped 10 year old.

Oh, well, thanks a lot :roll:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/06/2009 12:31 am
(@eah_xxheretikxx)
Noble Member

Well, time flies! I'm actually leaving for 3 fun months of Army Basic Training this Monday and was cleaning up things, when I found what I was going to post here! I wrote this letter to LucasArts:

Dear LucasArts representative,

I’m writing to you concerning one of my favorite games in the whole entire world: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II. This game pretty much conquers any game out there, new or old.

However, because it is so old, support on new hardware is extremely limited. But has that limited the loyal community? Not. One. Bit.

It may or may not surprise you that there’s still a loyal JKDFII community. A lot of people can be found hanging out on the forums at jkdf2.net, modding at jkhub.net, and playing/chatting daily at irc.gamesurge.net #jk. I represent both the JKDFII community and myself when I politely entreat you for the public release of the source code to Jedi Knight Dark Forces II.

This would allow for the loyal community to take the game to an entirely new level. An example of the possibilities the source code brings can be seen in “Rise of the Triad”. After the release of the source code, the eager community brought the game to Linux, Macs, Windows XP and Vista, and even portable systems like the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP.

Wouldn’t this be fantastic for Jedi Knight Dark Forces II to also rejuvenate into modern technology? I tell you: if the source code was released, I would pick it up and work towards making a perfect Windows Vista port! The entire community would rejoice!

While I practically jump up and down at the thought of the JKDFII source code being released, I have not been so ignorant to not consider any negative possibilities. However, after much thinking, I cannot think of a single negative! I don’t believe I’m being naïve-I just don’t see how anything bad could come out of releasing the source to an 11 year old game!

So, I hope that I’ve presented my entreaty well enough that you’ll take it into consideration!

Unfortunately, the reply I got was "We send back unsolicited requests without reading them. Sorry." :(

But, at least it was a try! Maybe we should flood them with mail so that they can't ignore it :P

The reply you recieved - was it hand written or an automated response? Very true, they can't ignore repeated requests. By the way, your email was well written.

Also, good luck with basic.

ruthless deeds return to harass their architect

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/06/2009 5:38 am
(@maxrabbit)
Eminent Member

The reply you recieved - was it hand written or an automated response? Very true, they can't ignore repeated requests. By the way, your email was well written.

Also, good luck with basic.

The reply was automated-though I'm sure that the woman read at least part of the letter in order to know what it was about.

Do you seriously think it was okay, as at far as the writing?

And thanks! I'm on my way to the Air Force Base ATM, and I take off tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/06/2009 7:08 am
(@dsbr_phelan)
Honorable Member

Ret, Microsoft is a business. If you want to solicit anything from a major corporation, you would require a well composed business email for them to take you seriously; and then you would proceed to spam that. If you feel the former qualifies as such, you really need to stay in school.

For future reference, I suggest you omit the ra ra I love JK stuff, and the excessive use exclamation marks if you are going to make a serious attempt at procuring the source code. In my opinion, it gives this community the image of being both uneducated and juvenile. Where the reality is many in the community are well educated, and are beginning, or are already established in respectable careers.

I could care less if you happen to obtain the source code or not. But I'm just offering you some advice if you want to better your chances.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/06/2009 12:44 pm
(@dsbr-mode)
Trusted Member

phelan is the meanest dsbr. luckily though we are all supernice so we counterbalance his unfriendliness

genetix is the best

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2009 10:36 am
(@Anonymous)

Who is the fattest dsbr and what do you use to counterbalance their weight?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2009 2:47 pm
Share:

I Here’s your Throwback