Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What the hell? [Suggestion about locking topics]

Page 1 / 2
(@dsbr_phelan)
Honorable Member

is it really necessary to police the threads like this, you are locking a topic for no realistic reason. I'm very sure its exciting for you to have power, you must feel like you were using force choke on the thread where the mean internet people were talking. Why must one thread be designated for a general form of communication, why can't you just let the thread evolve on its own. You must have daddy issues, its beyond me why you nerds act like this.

keep it up you will find you are going to lose a lot of traffic, just like ret did when he tried to be the sheriff and go on a power trip.

Topic starter Posted : 04/10/2007 7:39 pm
(@jkle_drew)
Trusted Member

Normally, having such harsh locking procedures is not needed for sites like JKDF2.net. However, as Nesseight has stated, we aren't combating real members as much as trying to lock/delete redundant threads and stop the spam bots that have invaded.

We are doing this because while ReT's forums were always nice, it's very hard to keep control and tabs with no rules, especially if we want this place to go to great heights for the online JK community.

If you feel that a post had been locked unfairly and you can provided proof, just head over to here (Support and Services) and we'll take a look at it for you. We again aren't doing this on a personal level against members, but to stop flaming, redundancy, and trolls that are slowing the advance of these forums. Hope that helps.

keep it up you will find you are going to lose a lot of traffic, just like ret did when he tried to be the sheriff and go on a power trip.

I think I explained above about this but I'll clarify it again: We aren't doing this for power, we're doing it for the site, forum, and member's good. I came here because I am a true JK fan but I was a little held aback by the "flame war" threads that weren't allowed but still existed. Rules are going to be put in place; rules are good, they are what separates anarchy from calm and amicable communities.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/10/2007 11:36 pm
 Hyde
(@hyde)
Reputable Member

I just want to say that measures such as deleting, locking, etc. should be used very carefully, as a last resourse.
Besides, i don't think redundant threads are such a big deal, specially when a conversation on one thread flows to another thread's topic, i don't see a reason to take any measures or interfere.
But when many threads end up discussing exactly the same thing, i think it doesn't harm anyone if the admins/mods put some order in the forums.

I think the key for both, admins/mods and regular forum members, is to act with responsability and try to keep things as free as possible, and organized as well.

JAS_Hyde
JAS - JK Online Gaming Clan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2007 3:04 am
(@jkle_drew)
Trusted Member

We are trying to make this "The Center For JK Online Gaming." I can't see how that will be possible to maintain with the current state of posts, forums, and having no general rules. We are creating a draft for General Forum Rules and soon it will be posted and we will begin to ban people.

I didn't even notice your name calling, but I'm just going to ignore it and take it as a plus to my point because it shows the state of posts here. Rules are a hassle, perhaps, but they serve the greater good always.

I'm sure the others will agree that you don't have to stay here. Please help us, help you and the JK Community as a whole.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2007 9:14 am
(@jkle_drew)
Trusted Member

Indeed. Also, it seems you are taking locked threads as personal attacks on you; they aren't. It's just a way to reduce redundancy (even if it doesn't seem like there is to you, there is.)

I don't take any attacks on the internet
personally because it's the internet and I don't know the person, not really. I do, however, take what I'm trying to help with seriousness.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2007 1:18 pm
 Hyde
(@hyde)
Reputable Member

Hmm, maybe Triscuit is right about this...
We have a ton of old threads which are completely useless, and could be deleted, or at least moved to the Flame Forum.

By the way, i realized one thread where someone asked about how to run JK on Vista was accidentally deleted (probably while deleting spam), so we have to be carefull while doing this :?

JAS_Hyde

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/10/2007 4:57 am
(@jkle_drew)
Trusted Member

It's not to odd for me to see people posting in such old threads (actually happens a lot on many forums.) The new rules will have guidelines and consequences for posting in older threads without adding any value to the thread, if it even had any to start with.

We (some of the forum staff) have been discussing what to actually do with the forums. We don't want to start a new forum because of the depth within this one, but then again we also are dealing with spam, flame war threads, and other stuff that isn't easy to bounce back from.

We have a ton of old threads which are completely useless, and could be deleted, or at least moved to the Flame Forum.

I don't really understand the purpose of the Flame Forum. It doesn't help unite the JK Community, it throws it apart. I suggest moving all locked threads there and deleting the threads within it. Or something like that to get rid of the spam and other redundant threads for good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/10/2007 5:08 am
(@jkle_drew)
Trusted Member

It's not the reviving of them so much as the non-productive content (if the thread was productive) that's added. If it's an older thread but you have something productive to say in it, there's nothing wrong with posting in it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/10/2007 9:57 am
 Hyde
(@hyde)
Reputable Member

That's true. I don't think there's nothing wrong about posting in old threads. If you have something to say, that's what we're here for.

About the flame forum. I never really cared of it, and i never even read the posts in that forum. But here's the history (as i remember it): I think it was created by Ret after he started deleting the flame posts (which at that point were everywhere), and when some people started complaining and saying they were just messing with each other and having fun that way, Ret decided to open the Flame Forum, to try and keep all that in there and not all over other topics.

JAS_Hyde

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2007 4:16 am
(@dsbr_phelan)
Honorable Member

"our goal is to get everyone back to this site and show new members that we ARE NOT massassi" by Andrew L

Do you not remember why the general JK community disliked Massassi? Have you forgotten what the core of the JK community was? If you dont like it then perhaps you have chosen the wrong game to dedicated your efforts in to reviving. JK has a unique identity, which is exactly why guys are still playing and talking about it 10 years later. To rob it of that identity and make it a place where knobs like JKHub can feel warm and fuzzy is an injustice to what made JK the timeless classic it is today.

If you were to ask ANY player from jk what they miss the most about it. It would be the community, as eclectic as it was. To create a one dimensional community would be an effective deterent to those of us who look back fondly on how unique this game was. It was a league of its own, its community was unique. To conform where one excels is one of the greatest injustices anyone can do to themselves.

JK was not a melting pot, though very segregated; it was a Salad Bowl culture. Why dont you keep it that way.

And whether or not you want to admit it. The revolving door of fanboys who got their jollies off role playing duel of the phates were not the backbone of the community. It was one part editors, and one part competitive. That was the staple of JK. And you are seriously descriminating against one of them.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/10/2007 12:58 pm
(@jkle_drew)
Trusted Member

If you were to ask ANY player from jk what they miss the most about it. It would be the community, as eclectic as it was. To create a one dimensional community would be an effective deterent to those of us who look back fondly on how unique this game was. It was a league of its own, its community was unique. To conform where one excels is one of the greatest injustices anyone can do to themselves.

I fail to see how adding rules (supported by ReT, I believe) is going to make a one dimensional community; it would allow for more serious, and caring members to not be blacked out by the flame wars and spam that they have to see/fight we they come. We aren't conforming, as that would be mindless following in my opinion, we are doing in what's best for the JK community. I am wondering why you're taking a locked thread (which, by the way was logical and supported by a thread that was already in place) so personal. This isn't an attack against you, or the community; it's a act to stop the craziness within the community.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2007 2:17 pm
(@dsbr_phelan)
Honorable Member

Hacking has nothing to do with it. I said the competitive community drove the franchise for a very long time.

Hey guess what... there are a million star wars fanboy sites. How would you presume to distinguish yourself from them? by having the claim of being the home of DF2. But your need for censorship and "order" is going to drive the majority of your user base away that actually played the game for more than 2 or 3 months at a time every other year; so it in turn becomes a hollow claim. And like I said before, the revolving door of fanboys was not the backbone of the community. They are already talking about joining the jedi church and does the force really exist on their own boards. Are you really going to piss and moan if someone hurls an insult in the General forum, or if someone asks a technical question in the flame forum? Please switch to boxers because those tighty whities are cutting off your circulation I think. How up tight can you guys be?

I actually get why you guys are so subjective on the issue, its a shame though. You know why these guys talk about 97? because they wern't part of the oblivious community who had no clue what was going on as a whole. It was unique because the competitive community was nothing like any other game. Those 2 things combined are also a very unique dynamic that has not been immitated to that extent since. Unfortunately no matter how much I try to explain this to you, I do not think any of you will understand why all the "shit talkers" are still around and the spork users are playing jedi dressup with their local neighbourhood enclave. I've played StarCraft and CS competitively, and was witness to DSbr being unchallenged for years in the following JK titles. Any other person who has played this game competitively, and played others competitively will tell you hands down; This game was a total anomoly when it came to the community. We just enjoy experiencing it just a little bit, even if it is just a faint echo of its former self. And maybe you could finally understand if I told it to you like this... Champions get the glory, not the equipment managers. I think the majority of JK's actual notoriety in published write ups was due to its competitions. CWT to be exact. Who participated in that? being involved in those things is called PR. And while you provided great entertainment for newbies. People are measured in this world by victories.

And the fact that people who have been playing this game most likely since after 2002 are dictating to us what the community should be is really quite insulting to anyone from the 5 years previous.

but if you want this to be another editors only area like the losers in jkhub and massassi then go for it.

cheers,

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/10/2007 2:36 pm
(@eah_xxheretikxx)
Noble Member

Phelan:

It is never a big deal where people post what. But subject specific forums are there for a reason, and more conducive to discussion. I ask that you just think about that for a moment. I don't know if this is a satisfactory response but hopefully it somewhat alleviates your concerns. ;)

- ReT

ruthless deeds return to harass their architect

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2007 3:14 pm
(@eah_wacko)
Estimable Member

JK Tournies hardly defined the community - the amount of people that didn't give a shit about them vastly outnumbers the few so called "pros" that lived in them. Fact of the matter is noone cares and the community didn't care about who won tournies and what clans are self proclaimed the best.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/10/2007 3:46 am
(@eah_wacko)
Estimable Member

Did any clan do it? lol I think it was just the downloaders under alias' that would.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/10/2007 9:16 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

I Here’s your Throwback